Call : +86-21-58386189, 58386176

acid mine drainage pdf

How Acid Mine Drainage Has Affected the Greater ...

distinct smell that can be associated with acid mine drainage. Ferrous or soluble iron is the first pollutant associated with acid mine drainage as it starts to make streams too acidic to support aquatic life Figure 1: An example of acid mine drainage flowing into Shamokin Creek. Notice the red-orange color of …

Acid Mine Drainage Prevention and Control Options

ACID MINE DRAINAGE PREVENTION AND CONTROL OPTIONS 601 Prediction of performance The performance of the designed or selected option(s) compared to the adopted standards is predicted by applying appropriate engineering techniques (e.g., computer modelling). Key engineering considerations would include seepage genera­

(PDF) Acid Mine Drainage Treatment with Chemicals | Jeff ...

OVERVIEW OF ACID MINE DRAINAGE TREATMENT WITH CHEMICALS Jeff Skousen West ia University ACID MINE DRAINAGE FORMATION Acid mine drainage (AMD) forms when sulfide minerals in rocks are exposed to oxidizing conditions in coal and metal mining, highway construction, and other large-scale excavations.

(AMD) Fact Sheet - Friends Of Clayoquot Sound

Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) is essentially the same process, greatly magnified. When large quantities of rock containing sulphide minerals are excavated from an open pit or opened up in an underground mine, it reacts with water and oxygen to create sulphuric acid. Acid is carried off the mine site by rainwater or

Acid Mine Case Study - VSEP

processing of Acid Mine Drainage, until now. New Logic's V SEP has the ability to perform membrane separations not possible using conventional membrane systems. Wastewater treatment systems that are compact, economical, and reliable are now possible for the mining industry. Mining Regulation One of the challenges of today's

Acid Mine Drainage (AMD): Causes, treatment and case ...

Request PDF on ResearchGate | On Dec 31, 2006, Ata Akcil and others published Acid Mine Drainage (AMD): Causes, treatment and case studies

Treating Acid Mine Drainage From Abandoned Mines in …

Treating Acid Mine Drainage From Abandoned Mines in Remote Areas John J. Metesh Hydrogeologist Terrie Jarrell Project Leader Steve Oravetz Program Leader USDA Forest Service Technology and Development Program Missoula, Montana 7E72G71— Acid Mine Drainage Study October 1998 United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service Technology ...

Technical Document: Acid Mine Drainage Prediction

Acid Mine Drainage Prediction compares acid rock drainage factors of waste rock piles and tailings impoundments. In examining this table, it is important to note that diffusion of oxygen into water is slow and, therefore, oxidation of iron sulfide is inhibited until the water level drops, which can occur periodically or seasonally in some cases.

Acid mine drainage - microbewiki

Acid mine drainage (AMD) occurs when metal sulfides, most commonly pyrite, are exposed to and react with air and water. When water flows over or through sulfur-bearing mine tailings, a chemical reaction occurs between the water and rocks resulting in metal-rich water.

Acid Mine Drainage In Pennsylvania Streams: Ironing Out ...

Acid Mine Drainage In Pennsylvania Streams: "Ironing Out" The Problem . Carrie H. Reinhardt . Introduction . Acid mine drainage (AMD) is a national problem, but one-third of waters impacted by that problem are located in Pennsylvania, which, after over a century of coal extraction, has produced

Geochemistry of acid mine drainage from a coal mining area ...

Acid drainage influence on the water and sediment quality was investigated in a coal mining area (southern Brazil). Mine drainage showed pH between 3.2 and 4.6 and elevated concentrations of sulfate, As and metals, of which, Fe, Mn and Zn exceeded the limits for the emission of effluents stated in the Brazilian legislation.

Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) South Africa

Feb 25, 2011· Acid mine drainage (AMD) is the flow, or seepage, of polluted water from old mining areas. Depending on the area, the water may contain toxic heavy metals and radioactive particles. These are dangerous for people's health, as well as plants and animals.

EPA - What is Acid Mine Drainage

Acid Mine Drainage Mines built as early as the 1800's were developed in a manner which utilized gravity drainage, to avoid excessive water accumulation in the mines As a result, water polluted by acid, iron, sulfur and aluminum drained away from the mines and into streams Results of Acid Mine Drainage

Acid Mine Drainage: Chemistry - COTF

Acid Mine Drainage: Chemistry Acid mine drainage impacts stream and river ecosystems through acidity, ferric ion (Fe 3+) precipitation, oxygen depletion, and release of heavy metals associated with coal and metal mining, such as aluminum (Al 3+), zinc (Zn 2+), and manganese (Mn 2+).. When mineral deposits that contain sulfides are mined, they have the potential to produce acid mine drainage.

cimfr.csircentral.net

The main cause of acid mine drainage is the occurrence Of pyrite and sulphide minerals with the rock of coal seams. During mining these sulphide minerals get exposed to air and mine water. then oxidation and hydrolysis results in the generation of acid mine drainage. The low pH value Of the discharge mine water results in the further

Mine Drainage Technology Initiative - Office of Surface Mining

Acid mine drainage (AMD) has been a detrimental by-product of coal mining for many years. At present, acid mine drainage continues to pose a potential problem in some areas, despite improved prediction and prevention techniques.

MINE WATER MANAGEMENT IN THE WITWATERSRAND …

REPORT TO THE INTER-MINISTERIAL COMMITTEE ON ACID MINE DRAINAGE MINE WATER MANAGEMENT IN THE WITWATERSRAND GOLD FIELDS WITH SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON ACID MINE DRAINAGE Prepared by the Expert Team of the Inter-Ministerial Committee under the Coordination of the Council for Geoscience Team of Experts drawn from: The Council for Geoscience

Research Article ACID MINE DRAINAGE: A WATER …

Acid mine drainage (AMD) is recognized as one of the most serious environmental problem in the mining industry. The problem of acid mine drainage (AMD) has been present since mining activity began thousands of years ago. This paper describes the water pollution issues in mining industries and their treatment technologies.

Acid mine drainage - Wikipedia

Acid mine drainage, acid and metalliferous drainage (AMD), or acid rock drainage (ARD) is the outflow of acidic water from metal mines or coal mines.. Acid rock drainage occurs naturally within some environments as part of the rock weathering process but is exacerbated by large-scale earth disturbances characteristic of mining and other large construction activities, usually within rocks ...

FACT SHEET ACID MINE DRAINAGE The Problem

more FACT SHEET ACID MINE DRAINAGE The Problem The formation of acid mine drainage and the contaminants associated with it have been described as the largest environmental problem facing the U.S. mining industry.1 Acid mine drainage occurs when sulfide minerals in …

Remediation of Acid Mine Drainage - WIReDSpace Home

REMEDIATION OF ACID MINE DRAINAGE USING METALLURGICAL SLAGS Tendai Innocent Name A dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, in fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of …

The impact of acid mine drainage in South Africa - SciELO

The origin of acid mine drainage Acid mine drainage (also sometimes referred to as acid rock drainage) is a well-understood process2 and arises primarily when the mineral pyrite ('fool's gold' or iron disulphide) comes into contact with oxygenated water. The …

GARDGuide

INAP: The International Network for Acid Prevention. INAP is an organization of international mining companies dedicated to reducing liabilities associated with sulphide mine materials. The International Network for Acid Prevention (INAP) is an industry group created to help meet the challenge of acid drainage.

USGS Mine Drainage Activities - archive.usgs.gov

Oct 24, 2018· Meeting Announcement: 10th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD) and Annual Meeting of International Mine Water Association (IMWA) in Santiago, Chile, April 21-24th, 2015.Early- registration until February 19th. Meeting Announcement: Call for Abstracts and Workshops 2015 National Conferenceof the American Society of Mining and Reclamation (ASMR), …

Techniques to correct and prevent acid mine drainage: A review

Techniques to correct and prevent acid mine drainage: A review. Técnicas correctoras y preventivas de las aguas ácidas de mina: Una revisión . Santiago Pozo-Antonio a, Iván Puente-Luna b, Susana Lagüela-López c & María Veiga-Ríos d . a Departamento de Ingeniería de los Recursos Naturales y Medio Ambiente, Universidad de Vigo, España.

Acid Mine Drainage - Gauteng City-Region Observatory

Acid mine drainage occurs when 'fool's gold' (FeS 2) or iron pyrite found in mined rock oxidises. This occurs when either underground mine shafts, or crushed conglomerate in Mine Residue Areas (MRAs) on the surface, become exposed to oxygen and water creating run-off that is very high in sulphates – effectively sulphuric acid – and

Acid Mine Drainage - Ground Truth Trekking

Summary. Acid mine drainage (AMD) refers to the outflow of acidic water from a mining site. In most cases, this acid comes primarily from oxidation of iron sulfide (FeS2, also known as pyrite or "fool's gold"), which is often found in conjunction with valuable metals. Acid mine drainage is a major problem with many hardrock mines, including almost all mines where the metal ore is bound up with ...

(PDF) Acid Mine Drainage Control and Treatment | Jeffrey G ...

Acid mine drainage from an abandoned sulphide mine in Smolnik, with the flow rates of 5–10 L s−1 and a pH of 3.7–4.1, flows into Smolnik creek and adversely affects the stream's water ...